If you don’t like any of those ringtones created by Apple, you can simply make your own custom tones using iTunes. You can download any MP3 or M4A file and set it as a ringtone for your iPhone, 100% proved!
What’s actually an iPhone ringtone? This is an ACC file with an M4A extension. If you want to convert MP3 to iPhone ringtone, you’ll have to convert M4A to M4R. If you have an MP3 file that you want to convert to a ringtone, you’ll have to change it to an ACC-M4A format first and then change it to an M4R.
Convert MP3 or M4A to iPhone Ringtone
Note: If the file you have is already an M4A, then just skip the first step which is to convert it from MP3 to M4A by creating an AAC.
1. Launch iTunes and drag the MP3 file to the Songs section.
2. Go to Edit > Preferences > General > Import settings.
3. Make sure Import Using is set to an ACC Encoder.
Tip: If you want to create a ringtone, better trim the song to 30 seconds. To do this, right-click on the MP3 and click on Song Information. Select Options and edit the duration of the song. This is just the recommended duration limit for all iPhone ringtones. But if you want to shorten or lengthen it, you sure can do it too.
4. Select the song and click File > Convert > Create AAC Version. This will help you convert M4A to M4R, which is a ringtone file that’s supported by an iPhone or iPad.
5. Right-click the song and click Show in Windows Explorer. If you have a Mac, you need to click Show in Finder.
6. Right-click the file in File Explorer and Rename the extension from .m4a to .m4r. Click Yes to confirm. If you can’t see the file extension, go to View> check Filename Extensions.
7. Connect your iPhone to your PC and wait for it to sync.
8. Click Tones in the left panel.
9. Drag the .m4r file into File Explorer into Ringtones.
10. Go to Settings on your iPhone > Sounds and Haptics > Tones
If the syncing process between your iPhone and iTunes was successful, you will see the song downloaded on your iPhone.
And we’re done here! Now you know how to create an iPhone ringtone, so enjoy your custom tones and make everyone around jealous!